Good day Parents,
We have planned our Welcome to Kindergarten (WTK) event for Monday, June 15th and on Monday, June 22, 2020 (between 9:30am and 2:00pm). We have WTK bags for all of our upcoming Kindergarten students. In the bag you will find a variety of activities to do with your child to help prepare them for the start of Kindergarten. In the bags there are magnetic letters, craft supplies, and books. There is also a guide with ideas of what you can do with your child to help prepare them for a successful start to their educational journey.
The WTK bags are labelled with each student’s name and will be sitting in boxes outside the front of the school. Our Kindergarten teachers have designed a picture opportunity for your child. You can take their photo in front of the school if you choose to do so. We ask that you keep your child’s WTK bag for them to bring with them in September as it will be used as their library bag for the year.
I’ve attached some resources that have activities which could be incorporated into virtual sessions or put in paper packages. These are designed to support both current and incoming Kindergarten families with learning at home. Please share these resources with your WTK team.
· Welcome to Kindergarten – B.C. Curriculum Connections document with play-based activities in the areas of literacy, mathematics, music and movement, sensory and creative exploration. Each activity has a built in Family Connection idea, and many use the resources included in the Welcome to Kindergarten bag
· New Welcome to Kindergarten Family Cookbook – recipes, book list, healthy eating ideas
· Learning Through Play videos – A series of videos that explain the Welcome to Kindergarten orientation session.
· Welcome to Kindergarten Family Calendar 2019-20 – Filled with literacy and numeracy activities for families to do together.
· Welcome to Kindergarten App – Our free iPad and Android app for our youngest learners.
· Welcome to Kindergarten Music – downloadable songs, lyrics and activities